Nicholas Grammar School was a grammar school located in Northwood Hills, in the London Borough of Hillingdon, Middlesex.
Approval to begin construction of the school was granted on 11th
May 1953, and the work was undertaken by construction firm Holland, Hannen & Cubitts. The grammar school opened in September
1955, and ran for 22 years.
In 1954 two forms were established at Bourne Secondary Modern school to become the nucleus of pupils,
forming 2a and 2b at the new building in 1955.
THE SCHOOL CREST
The school crest was a bishop's
mitre surrounded by three money bags. A mitre was worn by St Nicholas as he was a Bishop (as well as being the most popular Saint in Christendom). The
three purses of gold are not those of a miser but represent the dowries secretly bestowed by the saint on three daughters
of an impoverished citizen who were about to abandoned to a life of shame. This is said to be origin of
the custom of giving presents surreptitiously on the eve of St Nicholas Day (December 6th), and from this comes
the association of Christmas presents with Santa Claus which is merely an American corruption of San Nicolaas of the Dutch
colonists in the New World. Purple is the colour of King’s College Cambridge, one of the finest seats
of learning in this country.
The first headmaster was Robert Francis Edward Watson (8 March
1910 - 16 July 2004), who assembled the teaching staff during the late winter and early spring of 1955. He held the
position until retiring at the end of term 1975.
Robert Watson was succeeded by Leslie Shearn who guided the school
through amalgamation with the neighbouring St Marys Grammar School for Girls in 1977 to form Haydon School. In
1978, Haydon School changed the crest to a stylized stag's head.
At the time of the Norman Conquest, William1 gave the manor of
Ruislip with Northwood to the ABBOTS of BEC to be held forever. Later however at the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the KING
Henry V1 took the land and gave it to KING’S COLLEGE CAMBRIDGE.
The first tenant of Northwood under the Abbots of Bec was KEVERE who perhaps gave his name to Kewferry Road
and other local places of interest.
Thus we have the House names:-
A House assembly was held once a week on Friday. Each House had its own colours. There were many
inter-house competitions throughout the school year, the emphasis being on field sports, though there were also drama, chess,
and art competitions.
There was a language laboratory, senior and junior science laboratories
for chemistry and physics, a school orchestra, a library, workshops for metalwork and woodwork, a large gymnasium, and
several pitches for games.
Felix Dennis - publisher. Originally of OZ magazine fame.
John Henderson - film and TV director. Credits include
The Borrowers and Spitting Image.
- musician/arranger. Worked with Jeff Beck and others for many years.
Baron Rosser - trade union leader. General Secretary of the TSSA from 1989 - 2004.
Gary Tibbs - musician and actor. Played bass guitar with
The Vibrators, Roxy Music and Adam and The Ants.
Why St Nicholas and St Mary’s?
Most of the land in the Ruislip area had been owned for centuries
by King’s College Cambridge. In the ancient Charter granted to King’s College Cambridge by
its founder, King Henry VI, the King expressed a wish that his new College “shall henceforth be denominated Our Kings
College Royal of the Blessed St Mary and St Nicholas.” The College Authorities readily agreed
that the two new grammar schools to be built in the Ruislip-Northwood district be named:-
St Nicholas Grammar School for Boys and
St Mary’s Grammar
School for Girls….so much more imaginative than other GS’s in the area i.e Harrow County, Pinner County, Watford
Boys, Rickmansworth GS, Hayes County. They could so easily have been Northwood Hills GS for Boys & Girls!
In the words of the College authorities “the College approves
the proposal and is very pleased to see the long connection with Ruislip perpetuated in this way.”
It was considered that the name linked the Schools directly with
Christianity, with the long history of England and with the ancient and gracious learning of the University of Cambridge.
These links would provide dignity and a fine beginning for the new schools.